11.07.2010

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

I was recently WATCHING an episode of Barefoot Contessa and she made this AMAZING sounding soup. I was inspired to try it, but SIMPLIFY it at the same time. I think I came up with a WINNER, but let me know what ya think!


Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Extra virgin olive oil
1 large butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2 sweet apples
1 large sweet onion
1 tablespoon curry powder
Salt and pepper
1 cup water
1 cup apple juice
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch pan with a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom; set aside.

Peel and cut the squash, apples, and onion into uniform pieces. Place in the prepared pan, drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle the curry powder, salt, and pepper over top. Toss to coat and add more oil if necessary to get a good coating. Bake in the oven until tender, about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. When done, blend the mixture with the water and apple juice until smooth. This will have to be done in batches. To finish, pour thick soup mixture into a soup pot and stir in milk. Warm through over medium heat.

TIP: This is a pretty thick soup, so feel free to add more liquids. My husband said he would have liked more apple juice, but I would add more milk myself, so whatever you think! I loved the consistency this way though. Also, I served my soup garnished with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and grated fresh Parmesan cheese. Really yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment