10.01.2011

I'm Back! Now How About Minestrone Soup?

In trying to prepare some MEALS to freeze before my cute little twins arrived, I found this recipe in a "freezer meals" type COOKBOOK written by Jenny Stanger. It was DELICIOUS and I'm so glad we were able to try it. Thanks Jenny!


Easy Minestrone Soup
8 cups water
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomato (I pureed both cans to eliminate chunks for my fam)
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (15-ounce) can green beans
1 (15-ounce) can corn (I used about 1 cup frozen)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced (I used about 1 cup of baby carrots, sliced)
4 ounces polish sausage, sliced
2 tablespoons parsley
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 ounces large egg noodles

Pour all ingredients except noodles into a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Boil for 14 minutes. To serve immediately, add the noodles and cook for another 10 minutes (or until noodles are done). To freeze, let cool and put in plastic zip-lock bags (I split mine in two gallon-sized bags). To serve after freezing, let defrost and then cook 10 minutes or until heated through.

TIP: If freezing this recipe, I would hold off on adding the noodles until after you thaw it and reheat. This way you avoid getting mushy noodles. Also, don't forget to label if you are putting this meal in the freezer. Just write on the baggy what it is and how to heat it up. It works like a charm having dinner already done!