10.08.2010

Apple-Pear Salad

This salad is from my book 101 Things to do with Salad and is the perfect recipe for FALL. Apples, pears, and a LIGHT lemony dressing make the perfect combination. And BELIEVE me, you'll want seconds for sure!


Apple-Pear Salad
Dressing
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup light olive oil
1 tablespoon poppyseeds

2 pears, peeled and diced
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup cashew halves

Combine dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Add pears and apples to keep from browning; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine remaining salad ingredients. When ready to serve, pour dressing over top and toss until completely covered. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

TIP: I do lots of variations of this recipe. For example, sometimes I just grab a bag of the already prepared romaine lettuce and combine it with a bag of spring mix salad. It's a good combo! Also, I don't usually peel the fruit just because it saves me time, and I think the color looks pretty. Finally, I like to try different cheeses (my obsession again!), so in the photo above, I used a nice extra sharp white cheddar that I cut into cubes. It was so yummy! Another favorite of mine in this salad is bacon . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment