10.24.2010

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

It's COLD outside! Well, it is at my house anyway. The time of YEAR when I have to face the fact that I won't be WARM again until June. Oh well, though—the CHANGE in the weather is nice. It puts me in the mood for SOUP, and this easy recipe is a total winner.


Creamy Cauliflower Soup
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped cauliflower
2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
3/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup dice onion
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
4 1/2 cups whole milk (or half-and-half is good too!)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

In a saucepan, combine the broth and veggies and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes; remove from heat. In a large soup pan, melt the butter and then stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the milk, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes over medium heat. Add the veggies and broth and then stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 6 servings.

TIP: Since I'm a cheese lover, I usually add closer to 2 cups cheese, as well as sprinkle some on top for a garnish. It's just so yummy that way! Also, you can use all sorts of potatoes in this recipe. I did fingerling for this batch, but Yukon golds are super yummy, as well as reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment