10.14.2010

Fresh Apple Pear Cake

I think this is my last PEAR recipe, so I hope you've enjoyed them all! I'd been wanting some sort of CAKE that would be good with cream cheese FROSTING, so when I saw something similar on allrecipes.com, I thought I'd try my own variation.



Fresh Apple Pear Cake
2 cups peeled and chopped apples
2 cups peeled and chopped pears
2 cups white sugar
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream Cheese Frosting
2 to 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter
Salt
Powdered sugar
Milk

Combine the fruit with the sugar and let sit in a bowl for at least 30 minutes, or up to an hour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a Bundt pan with nonstick spray.

Mix the dry ingredients together and then stir in the eggs, oil, and fruit mixture. Stir in the nuts. Pour or scoop mixture into the prepared pan and then bake for 50 to 60 minutes. (Make sure to check with wooden skewer at minimum cook time to avoid over baking.) When done, let cool in pan for a few minutes and then invert on a wire rack to cool.

To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add a dash of salt, some powdered sugar, and a tablespoon of milk and beat again. Keep adding powdered sugar and milk by the tablespoon to reach desired taste and consistency. Frost cake and store in the refrigerator.

TIP: You can make this cake with all pears or all apples. I ran out of pears and decided to make up for it in apples. And, I actually think this cake is better the next day. If you can stand to wait a day to eat it, do it! Or just have a slice both days like me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment